If I could think in Spanish then I could speak in Spanish. If I could think in Spanish then I good do anything in Spanish.
How then can I start to think in Spanish?
There is no secret to thinking in Spanish. You just start.
So what should I think about? There are lots of scenarios you could try. In fact, there are thousands of combinations. Maybe you are trying to get a gig as a wedding singer. Or maybe you lost your pet lizard and need help from the locals in order to find it. You just start.
We all have an inner monologue. Unless, you have a special conditions that doesn’t allow the inner voice to speak. Or maybe you have control over your inner voice that rivals that of a buddhist monk. Either way. You just start.
In today’s episode of the Real Fast Spanish Tips podcast. We will look at the techniques you can use to start thinking in Spanish. We discuss where you could try to think in Spanish and some of the scenarios you could experiment with. But, as I have pointed out already, there is no secret. You just start.
In the podcast, I give you a few scenarios. There are plenty more than this. But this list is to help you start brainstorming:
- Ordering food in a cafe
- Proposing to someone
- Negotiating a deal (buying a car)
- A job interview
- Asking for a rare book in a rare book bookshop
- Explaining to someone why you were eavesdropping (how you going to get out of that one)
- Quitting your job (could you do that politely in Spanish, what would you say)
- Confronting a jealous lover and explaining that you haven’t been cheating on them. (poner los cuernos) (no te pongo los cuernos)
- How about if you are woman and you have to explain to your boyfriend you are pregnant. (would you break the news softly and spread out or are you going to take the bandaid and just rip it off)
- How about teasing a secret out of somebody. (how would you gain their trust)
Quote from the episode:
“You can build great wisdom and genius by spending time each day in grateful communion with your inner voice.” – Dr. John F. Demartini
How else can you start thinking in Spanish?