This week we welcome Kris Broholm to the podcast to discuss language learning mindset.
Kris is running a language learning podcast called Actual Fluency. Each week he invites on an ‘expert’ language learner—typically a polyglot who can speak a number of languages. He then attempts to find out what is working for them and their best tips for effective language learning. He also discusses and debates some of the most common issues facing language learners.
In today’s podcast, I brought Kris on to the podcast to share his story and what he is doing at Actual Fluency. I invited Kris on to Real Fast Spanish because I know how hard it is to run a language learning podcast and so I wanted to show my support for his work.
Kris has a lot to share on language learning and was extremely generous with what he has to share.
The interview went for over an hour and so I have decided to break the interview into two episodes. The second part of the interview will be released next monday.
In this first part of the interview we cover:
- Why Denmark ranks highly as one of the world’s happiest countries outside of the Spanish countries of South America.
- What does the title ‘Actual Fluency’ mean to Kris and how he choose the title.
- How to frame your goals in language learning but choosing goals that are suited to you.
- How Kris found inspiration in language learning and what is helping him stay motivated.
- What you can do to overcome fear and that awkward feeling of making mistakes by putting yourself out there.
- How building the discipline of language learning is a skill that can be easily transferred to other areas of your life.
Resources Mentioned in the episode:
What did you learn from Kris Broholm in this first part of the interview for this mindset episode?